#35: Fire-Roasted Pizza
One poor Airbnb host had his oven completely decimated by some guests, and he didn’t learn about it until his housekeeper went to clean up after they checked out. The three American guests drunkenly tried to cook a frozen pizza in the oven, but they forgot to take the plastic wrap off. When the pizza inevitably caught on fire, they doused the oven with a fire extinguisher and didn’t say a word.
The host needed to buy a new oven so they sent photos to Airbnb and had the platform charge the guests for a new appliance. The American guests weren’t able to mark the charge as fraud because it was legitimate damage, so they left a bad review instead. They said the pizza caught on fire because they didn’t know how to read Celsius and were discriminated against because they were American. Wow, some of these international Airbnb stories are really giving Americans a bad rep. We need to do better!