It has been decades since lipstick has been the most popular form of makeup. It really is one of the most essential fashion accessories that most women just can’t do without. I’m sure the ladies will agree that it’s a go-to makeup for many of us when we want to quickly pull our look together. As the popular saying goes – Give a woman the right lipstick and she can conquer the world.
But in saying that, let me tell you that not everyone knows how to apply lipstick correctly. It’s an art. If you are one of those struggling to take care of the art of applying lip color, here is help. We have a few tips for you to apply lipstick perfectly if you ever noticed that it faded as soon as you applied it or cringed when you found it bleeding on the outside of your mouth and on your teeth. Sounds familiar?
How to apply lipstick perfectly as a professional
To achieve the perfect poet and to make sure it stays, remember to follow these simple tutorials and tips for the glam look that lasts all day.
Let’s start with what we need:
- A nourishing lip balm/lip balm
- A lip case
- compact Powder
- Your favorite lipstick
And now we dive straight into the tutorial.
How to apply lipstick
Step 1: Prepare your lips
This is the first and foremost step, and I cannot stress this carefully – prepping is key! You do not want to walk around with dried lips. Exfoliate with a soft, moist toothbrush and hydrate by applying a nourishing lip balm to make these lips soft, supple and healthy. You can apply a lip primer after the color stays longer and prevent it from bleeding.
Step 2: Apply a base
If you are worried about some form of discoloration or uneven lipstick, it is crucial for your lipstick to have a base to hang on to. This is to make sure your lipstick does not sink into your lips. Choose a concealer shade that matches your lip color and dab on a little with a flat brush or a small fluffy brush. Apply a little compact over this to seal the base. It also helps your lip color stay longer.
Step 3: Use a lip case
To define your natural lip line and to prevent your lipstick from blurring, use a good lip case to define, reshape and perfect the contour of the lips. This gives you a more defined, accurate and polished look.
Trace your natural lip line from one corner to another with a liner that compliments your skin tone to prevent it from getting feathery (this is sometimes because you match it with the lipstick you choose to wear). To make the cupid’s bow more prominent, create an X shape on the top, just below the cupid’s bow.
Don’t worry if the lines on the inside are a bit imperfect as the lipstick will cover them anyway – but it’s the outer lines that matter.
After you have completed all the above steps and select the lipstick, take a product on a lip brush and apply it evenly over your lips. Don’t miss the inner corners. Make sure you apply it to the corners of your lined lips. Team up with a coat and intensify the color as you like. Usually, a good coat of quality lipstick will suffice.
If you have dry lips, you may not want to use matte lipstick as they tend to dry your lips even more. Look for moisturizing lipsticks that also require your lips. If your lips are on the thinner side, avoid using very dark colors as they tend to make your lips smaller.
Step 5: Add definition
Use a small mollusk and work on your edges to correct the shape of your lips. This is optional, but if you want to give your lips that puffy look, you can add a subtle lip gloss type.
Now that you have a basic idea to prepare your lips and apply lipstick perfectly, let’s cover some other important ideas that you can use.
There are so many great smart shortcuts that can satisfy your wishes to achieve a fuller look with the help of a small lipstick, read on.
You can use a nourishing soft drink scrub or a natural sugar scrub for exfoliation. Gently massage the scrub on your lips in slow circular motions. Use a primer for a smooth base and to increase the length of your lipstick. Use a lip case that matches your lipstick color. Refrain from using very dark colors as it will only make your lips even smaller. After applying your lipstick, make sure you highlight. Just like what marking is done on your face by creating dimensions, you mark that your lips appear fuller.
For an extra touch, apply a little lip gloss over your lip color.
Important tips when using lipstick
These are some extra tips and tricks that you can remember if you are a lipstick enthusiast.
- Never use a dark line with a light shade of lipstick – it will ruin your entire look.
- Always soften the lines formed by the lip liner by blending them properly either with your fingertips or a Q-tip.
- Let yourself understand your lips and also which formulations work best for you, as it differs from person to person.
- Always turn off using a tissue to remove excess product and even out the texture.
- To make a glossy lip color to a matte finish, dust on any translucent loose powder on the lips and let it rest for a few seconds.
- Dab them with a flat or fluffy brush to even the powder out.
- When applying lipstick with a brush, use an angle brush. This helps to give a more defined look.
- If you want to follow the pastel lip trend and don’t want more money to buy them, you can make your own pastel color (DIY). Use a white pen over your lips and paste some of your favorite lip colors on your lips. You are welcome!
- To achieve better-looking lips, apply some cream-based highlighter to Cupid’s bow.
- Always make sure you don’t have any lipstick marks on your teeth as this tends to happen when you wear a creamy transferable lipstick.
- Never use outgoing lip products as they can cause allergic reactions and other health problems.
- Avoid testing lipstick in stores as it has been on many lips and it can be a cause of the spread of infections.
- Never apply lipstick to cut lips, it will only accentuate all your cracks and lines.